Sunday, June 12, 2005

Playing Tag with Summer M.

Total Number of Cd's I own: The exact number is undetermined. However I know it is atleast 250 because I have two one hundred cd cases full to over flowing and I have a shoebox full of stuff. And since I am so old I also remember at one time owning 876 albums. The only reason I don't still have them is because they cost too much to move.

The CD or album I bought: Actually there are two. Kurt Carr's One Church and Donnie McClurkin's Praise Hymns and Spirtual Songs and both are still wrapped.

Last CD or album I listened to: Musically one of my Home by Stephanie Mills. I also listen to CD's on Audio Disc. I just finished two. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom: I am glad I did not invest myself in reading this book. It wasn't bad or good just unnecessarily bland and for me it lacked any thing that was meaningful to me. The concept was interesting and a lot of people talked about it.
The second was Fear Itself by Walter Moseley, since I never have time or make time to read novels, this is how I get them into me. I was driving with my daughter to college and it was a great way to spend six hours. This was not Moseley's best and it was somewhat predictable and far-fetched but it was fun to listen and Don Cheadle did a great job.

Currently listening to: Gotta Have Gospeel! (Part One) I love gospel music!

lyrics or beats? I am an old school guy for real its lyrics.

First album you fell in love with?There are two. Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits and Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace. Those two Dee-troit divas just rock for me. And if you ever wanted missed church, Amazing Grace was the album to remind you just how much you missed. Working with James Cleveland and that Southern California Community Choir dressed in African attire on the jacket, Aretha reminded us of those things that brought us through and brought us as an oppressed people over.

Diana and the Supremes exemplified a different side of the hopefulness in some black people in the sixties which included inclusion. The music was inclusive and it the only people it left out were those who could not fathom the fickleness of love.

I love Detroit.


Album with the Greatest Impact: No question Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life. From top to bottom this was a classic album and in it Stevie broke every barrier and every rule and in many ways paved the way for another important album for its musical impact Michael Jackson's Thriller. And for defining the diva, Patti LaBelle's If Only You Knew, gave the diva name power and grace at the same time.

Favorite Album: I really don't have a favorite album. I love a couple of songs so much that they never leave me. First, Home by Stephanie Mills, Mary Don't You Weep by Take Six. If I had to choose an album it would a two record set by Al Jarreau Look to the Rainbow. Another favorite single. And I am Telling You I'm Not Going by Jennifer Holiday. These were singer's albums.

Damn this is hard work.

Most listened to album: Wilmington Chester Mass Choir He Shepards Me. It is my faith story every song means something to me. I won't turn back is my favorite.

sexiest album Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love and I Want You.

biggest disappointment Whitney Houston. Whatever happened to the beautiful song bird that made sappy crap sound good. The diva who reworked Dolly Parton's song and killed America and made them act cool with an interracial love story?

five albums that mean the most to you: In David Letterman Order.

#5 India.arie Voyage to India Simply beautiful.

#4 Al Jarreau Look to the Rainbow

#3 Earth Wind and Fire That's the way of the World

#2 Luther Vandross The Night I Fell In Love

#1 Anita Baker My Everything. This sista has staying power. She did not release new stuff for TEN YEARS and was still able to fit right back in her niche.

Honorable Mention Aretha Franklin's Jump To It. (Another great comback LP)

That was fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home