Monday, July 25, 2005

Maybe it's just me...

But I don't get Republican Party politics. In most if not all states they proclaim to be pro-life, yet in Missouri and others they are spearheading an effort to reduce benefits to low income women or to defer costs to unwed dads.

One Missouri legislator noted that people have come to see medical care as an entitlement. After all if you don't pay your electric bill they cut you off, then why should someone think healthcare should be free?

Wow. I need some help in understanding this kind of logic. If I am a member of the party in most cases, I could not support a woman's right to choose an abortion and now I must support an effort that would disuade most women from identifying the paternity of their children less the unwed father be saddled with debt that he cannot afford.

So much for family values. In many ways I do understand the goals of the legislation which is to reduce the states Medicaid burden, but what's more important in the long run, families where the dad is more than a check or families where parenthood is considered an important and tangible part of the child's life?

I recently read where this same state (Missouri) has eliminated benefits for a paralyzed man and his blind wife stating that they need to find jobs with health care coverage. Maybe it's just me but this doesn't make much sense.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:08:00 AM, Blogger summer of sam said...

so you're a republican?

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Harold Gibson said...

well summer I would not call myself a true republican. What I was trying to communicate in the post is that generally speaking especially in Missouri the republican party is staunchly pro life. However the republican majority in the Missouri house and senate has passed legislation that does not support the rights of living children nor does it encourage the stablization of families. In fact on both counts the legislation is diametrically opposed to anything that would strengthen Missouri families.

Perhaps Whitney can explain it better:

These skank bitches need to have their babies, but if it comes to paying to make sure these baby is healthy...Hell to the naw

 
At Friday, July 29, 2005 7:59:00 AM, Blogger summer of sam said...

you've really developed a love for whitney, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home