Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Pole Scholarship

I guess we never appreciate the power of bad acting.

May be you remember that memorable performance of Lisa Raye in the forgettable movie the Player's Club.

If you don't remember it Jesse Jackson did and in response to the alleged victim in the upcoming Duke Lacrosse Players Rape Trial Jesse is giving the exotic dancer a scholarship so no longer must she mount the pole to take Humanities or Sociology or the Fundamentals of Teaching Phonics.

Of course you all know that this single mother was trying to earn a better life for her and her child by using her "gifts" in a very special and intimate way with strangers.

And while I certainly hope that if she was raped her perpetrators are properly punished. However it is going to be a difficult case cause she was selling sex in the first place.

While I consider myself liberal I am also not sure you can have it both ways. How can you offer your body in a private party with drunken men for money and who did not hire you because you have ABT potential, and expect them to honor you?

I have been in attendance at one bachelor party in my life where dancers were present. It was truly sleazy. I may be a prude but I never wanted to see my friends get freaky and I did not nor do I believe that hangin with the fellas means violating my vows. I am no saint, but I remember talking to one of the ladies who said that she was working on her teaching degree and this helps pay the bills.

Hmmm

Let's keep this real.

Women, if you are selling it on a pole, or at a party you are self exploiting and you are putting yourself at risk. You may think this is easy money but is it really?

3 Comments:

At Friday, May 05, 2006 7:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gibbs ...

I'm not sure I totally agree here. Coming from the perspective of a same gender loving man living in a world where (as youth especially) we are often marginalized from home, family & church (GOD) ... some of us find ourselves in desperate situations and must survive at all cost. As you know, it's human nature to do this.

Now ... I'm not making excuses for reckless behavior, or shameless immorality. But I have to ask the question? Who decides what is moral and what isn't?

Is it moral for a parent to kick out their 15 year-old son because he told them he's gay? Is it moral for that same 15 year-old to use his body to support himself as a result?

We have to ask ourselves what morality really means to us. Who decided that selling ones own body should be illegal? I totally diagree with that.

Prostitution should be legal. Those girls who work poles (for the most part) don't do it because it brings them joy. It puts food on the table. For some it puts them through school.

I applaud that sort in ingenuity. It's time people stopped spreading their morals around over the lives of other people.

We all make our choices. And we live with the consequences.

*** On a final note (which will probably weaken my point but I must be fair), I personally like strippers. I like the whole sleazy atmosphere of smoke, alcohol, decadence and fantasy. When else can a middle-aged man have a young beautiful woman (or man) make him feel sexy and vibrant again ... if only for one night. I believe we need this occasional romp on the wild side to just make it through our daily hum-drum existence we call life.

And after all, who's getting hurt? ***

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:27:00 PM, Blogger Drea Inspired said...

I can't say that I put myself through school with a baby on my hip, but I know that it's hard sometimes. One semester, I had so many financial issues coming at me that I almost had a nervous breakdown.

I never jumped on a pole to buy my books...not that could have, but that's not the point. There are other ways to pay the bills, but when a person is desperate and this so-called easy money is staring at them, they're not trying to bag groceries to pay tuition.

 
At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

maybe i'm odd like that but I think red light district fun can be enjoyed without lines being crossed...;-) Call me an idealist

 

Post a Comment

<< Home