Sunday, March 05, 2006

I Love Detroit--& There ain't It can do about it!

I went back to Detroit over the weekend. When I got there they were having ice, it was raw cold and cloudy then raw cold and sunny. The pot holes are still like craters from Mars, the customer service folk still keep it real and freeway construction is always underway.

I love Detroit. It is no joke. I truly love that town. Don't talk about it, and don't try to point out anything bad about it. It's my home town and I love it.

Some fool from East St. Louis, IL of all places tried to tell me that Detroit is a dump.

People from East St. Louis can't say anything about any place on the planet.

Another man from Chicago tried to tell me Detroit politicians were corrupt.

Well he ought to know.

Somebody from Los Angeles told me the weather was better, the women prettier and cars were hotter.

Well I can't argue about the weather but anyone who has ever felt the earth quiver knows a cold snap ain't all bad.

The problem with LA is not all the women are women.

And where the hell did hot cars come from.

No I don't live there now but that's okay cause whenever I meet people from Detroit we always have a good time laughing about the joys of being from a town nobody understands, why you like it.

You know why I love Detroit because I heard somebody trying to impress somebody else say you know my parents are buried in Woodlawn Cemetary. You have heard of Woodlawn that's where Rosa is buried. When the other party asked who is Rosa, the Detroiter, rolled her eyes and turned up her nose and said Rosa Parks--duh the woman they named 12th Street after. I love Detroit.


So what my Northwest flight left 2.5 hours late. It was okay I was still in Detroit and for some reason I was glad about it.


It's topography is flat, it's housing stock dwindling and maybe it doesn't have the romantic flair of some other places, but damnit, it has hosted two super bowls. Don't tell me there ain't something special about my town.

Don't try to convince my mind is made up. God loves Detroit and so do I.

3 Comments:

At Monday, March 06, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Blogger lilmzbabygrl said...

That's how I feel about Cleveland... sure, people call it "The Mistake by The Lake", but I could care less... yeah, sometimes I want to leave, but this is my hometown and I'm gonna rep it til I die!

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, Being from Buffalo, NY (another 'rust' belt city) people criticize the weather, the jobs, the people, etc... I have many relatives in detroit. I visit frequently, and I think Detroit is 'comin up' back to it's former glory.

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 1:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a native Detroiter, now living in elsewhere. I go home 3 times a year. I still love MY town and carry the style(nobody, I mean nobody, can dress like us) everywhere I go. I still have family there that are entrepreneurs. It seems like Detroiters have that spirit. I miss Belle Isle in the summer (if you can get on it) Edgewater Park, wich is now a mega church, Hudson's downtown, the Bob-Lo boat, Thanksgiving parades, Coleman Young (with his wonderful mean self). Hanging with family & friends, Watching Vernors being made on Woodward Ave. Riding down Woodward on a Saturday night. The Motown sound. I still see some of our great Motown artists here and there. Guess what? They miss that era also. Ain't nothin like the Big D baby!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home