Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Whatever Happened to Romance

As a young man of the 80's and a child of the 70's, I want to know whatever happened to romance?

Whatever happened to flirting and talking and falling asleep on the phone. Whatever happened to sex being a really really really really big deal?

I guess today we are more liberated than ever and we can sleep with one another just because but I am being delusional or has romance disappeared.

I just met a couple, a nice couple who came into the office to discuss matters of faith and love. How nice a pre marital couple. I thought to myself.

Wrong. This couple had known each other 2.5 weeks and wanted to know how could they tell if it was time for them to shack. 24 days of knowing someone is that enough time to determine if they can be your live in love?


The great thing about this couple is that their honesty was disarming. The conversation began with "our sex is great and we just want to reduce our living costs but we wonder what does this say about our faith?"

I heard many things about they appreciate each other's physical attributes, career aspirations and overall goodness. But not once did I either of them say I want to live with her or him because I love him.

Am I just an old prude or was Tina absolutely right "What Does Love Hafta Do Wtith It?"

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:23:00 AM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Sounds like someone I know who packed up and moved across the country to live with someone after a month of phonecalls. Did it work out? Depends upon how you look at it. They are still together, have children, and are on and off every other day.

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:51:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds weird--like they were both just looking for a roommate with "benefits". I bet you they don't even remember (heck, know) each others birthdays yet.

Who knows--the very fact that the fella wants to shack up after "getting the milk for free" may actually be the romantic part (from their point of view).

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger E said...

Yeah we are living in different times sadly. It is cool at least the couple thought to visit you.

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:52:00 PM, Blogger Drea Inspired said...

I think there may still be a few of us younguns who have somewhat traditional values.

I work with this guy who's in his early thirties and is getting married soon. He's celebate and he and is soon to be bride are taking classes at their church. I was blown away because even many of the folks I grew up with in the church don't have that much discipline.

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:24:00 PM, Blogger lilmzbabygrl said...

Wow... that is something. 24 days and they already talking about "Look, it don't make sense for both of us to pay rent if you gone be sleeping at my house every night". How much you want a bet it was girlfriend's idea? And him, thinking not "This means that we have a commitment" but "Hey, I get live in now? AND she can cook?"... aw, it's so bad... That's gonna last about 24 days...

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:42:00 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I don't think it's a romance issue as much a patience issue. Nowadays everyone's seeking immediate gratification. Good things come to those who wait has little to no meaning in today's society.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006 7:53:00 AM, Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

(vcat said) "the very fact that the fella wants to shack up after "getting the milk for free" may actually be the romantic part"

This is SO funny, and sadly true. Romance has been reduced to a slight tingling somewhere around the nether region.

*** sighs and pines for the good ol days ***

 

Post a Comment

<< Home