Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Book of Daniel

After all the hype, the Book of Daniel was really kind of a let down. I thought it was more Desperate Housewives, than an attack on Christianity. But one thing I did like about it was that it showed how complicated being and living Christian can be.

Why?

Because like all the heathens, we Christians want happiness too. We want to find satisfaction and peace. We want to be accepted for who we are by those who love and we really do not want to disappoint anybody. We also want to keep our flaws and mistakes under wraps.

We do have sex and we do enjoy having sex with our spouses! And even though we know it ain't right, when our spouses are no longer capable of meeting those companionship needs sometimes Christians even clergy cross the line into "adultery."

And while I do not condone it, I am real enough with myself and my savior to know that stuff happens and I pray not to be tested.

We also know that folks are shacking and while I personally don't think it's a good idea, I know others do it so who am I to judge.

But what I found most fascinating in the overly long two hour premiere is the need on the part of Christians to make others feel good. I thought the show did an excellent job of showing how far clergy will go to make others feel comfortable.

As a person who works with clergy people and those aspiring to ministry I see the daily struggle to appear to be "super people" yet on th inside, doubt and fear have not yet been banished, even though we may love the heck outta Jesus we still feel unsure if we are doing the right thing and we often question what would Jesus do.

Christians have the show and have had for several years that reflect the values they want to purport to be Christian and the lifestyle of the clergy family it's called 7th Heaven. There people confess their sins, feel bad when they get what they want and love their enemies.

The real deal is that we struggle but one thing about the Book of Daniel is that in his alone time the pastor could talk to Jesus (even his white version because he is white) and I think for most of us we also talk to Jesus when we are trying and not succeeding at being Christ like or when we just can't figure out why we're going through the s**t we are enduring.

For the show **

For the concepts ***

Gibby has spoken.

Let the church say WTF

AMEN

3 Comments:

At Monday, January 09, 2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Waddie G. said...

Thanks for letting me know that the show wasn't worth the hype. I was wondering why it had so many people's panties in a bunch.

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 5:49:00 PM, Blogger E said...

I knew the show would either be loved or hated from all the over hype. I didn't watch so I have no idea where I stand. I definitely appreciate the synopsis.

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:43:00 AM, Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

Haven't seen it yet, but will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home