Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Oh No She Didn't

I am an adjunct faculty member at a local college and in my class this morning we were looking at the linguistic struggle of presenting God using gender neutral pronouns. It was an interesting discussion because it allowed the students to express themselves on a topic people either love or hate.

The discussion was rich but I was continually trying to keep these grad students focused on examining the text before sharing their interpretation. Anyway in the midst of the conversation one of my African American students stated she thought that an analogy the writer of our article used about the evolution of Negro-Black-African American was interesting. Perhaps but what happened next floored me.

A white student a woman in her late 40's to early 50's said, "I know how dramatic that change was, because I grew up in the south and we regularly referred to black people as niggers."

Oh no she didn't.

Yes she did.

One of the sisters started to buck up out of her chair and I had to act fast to avoid a race riot.

"Hey hold on--hold on."

"[Foolish Bitch-not her real name but her an apt description] you just showed us that words have power and interpretation is subjective and always steeped in context. You also used willfully and blatantly used language of oppression and violence in my class a direct violation of the syallbus. Do it again and you will show your colleagues how to struggle in a required course."

Make sure you go back and read my syallabus, "violent, threatening, derogatory or profane language is not allowed. If you are wondering if something meets this standard you probably should not use it, unless you clear it with me."

[This was added when I had a class of cussing motherf**kers who got on my last d**n nerve.]

After the class Foolish Bitch came up to me and said, I thought you were a little harsh I did not mean any harm.

"I am having a difficult time believing that Foolish Bitch. What's next are you going to call the lesbians in the class by a derogatory name cause your daddy used to do it? Are you going to call the Asians by the names you heard your great grandma use and you used to use before you got some sense? Don't try that with me. Today we shall chalk this up to your ignorance, but get smart quick. However consider yourself warned. Do not let it happen again."

Well Foolish Bitch, I think you need to develop a great sensitivity to the feelings of others if you plan to continue in ministry. You may be a great ministry gift, but take note of Pat Robertson and others who make stupid gaffes and learn from them.

The sister who bucked came to me also and said, I cannot believe that bitch used that word. She betta be careful, I might be a minister but I ain't all the way saved yet.

Well my sister, I said, don't give Foolish Bitch any satisfaction, she will be cool but at least now you know where she stands.

That's why I can't get a PhD this s**t would get on my nerves every day.

This evening the Department Chair called and asked me if I threatened to flunk a student before the class because if I did I might be in trouble.

[These hoes ain't payin enuf money for me to be in trouble.]

I invited him to view the tape I always tape our early sessions to compare them to later discussions to show growth.

When the Department Chair heard her said Nigger she said no she didn't say that.

Yes she did. Then she heard my comment and said I was too soft on Foolish Bitch.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:39:00 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

If only I had that much tact. I can't imagine what I would have said.

Thanks for dropping by

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 7:31:00 AM, Blogger E said...

Wow...that's something else. The things you have to deal with. You handled it well.

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:00:00 PM, Blogger summer of sam said...

"i might be a minister but i ain't all the way save yet."

*dead*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home