Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Urban Campground

Driving along with my god children on a sunny summer day, Nicholas asks "Uncle Harry can we go camping?"

Uncle Harry does not camp under any circumstances.

I am sure your mommy and daddy will take you. (Who did these kids think I am Uncle Buck, the only reason I have them today is because I lost a stupid bet to their dad.)

Well Marsha, the youngest says can we have a picnic like those people.

What people.

The people in the park.

And it hit me. I have driven past this park for years and never looked at the people in the park. At the office this is called "Hobo Park" because it is full of people who are homeless and unemployed and when they are not in Hobo Park they are on the corners of our city, hustling for change, bus fare, lunch etc.

Oh we can't go for a picnic in the park today, we have to go to the library for the puppeet show. (The first time in my life I was glad to go to a puppet show.)


OOOOOOO said Nicholas, that man is peeing in the park.

Quit being so nosy and mind your own business, help Uncle Harold find a parking space.

We finally parked and I took the children to the puppet show, and there was a craft workshop following the puppet show so I walked around the library and I encountered a man who decided that I needed to engage in conversation.

What up man, he said.

Nothing I said.

So what are you doing here, just hanging out?

No, my god children are making projects to take home to their parents.

Oh I see... So what's on your mind.

Nothing really, sir, can I help you in some way?

Yeah give me a million dollars and a house on the lake.

We laughed, No I just wanted to talk to somebody he said.

I was feeling kind of uncomfortable but I made myself listen.

I listened as the man told a variety of tales, some of them very tall about why he was out of a home and out of a job and out of a marriage.

I don't want to ask you for money he said,

But, I said.

He chuckled, you could take me to the restaurant

No I don't have time. Here's six dollars, all the money I have.

Thanks man, he said, thanks for listening and thanks for respecting my humanity.

No problem, here come the children, I need to get ready.

Peace man.

Peace.

And I watched as he left the library and he walked into hobo park one more time.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:01:00 PM, Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Damn man - very enlightening story - no better yet, it's a damn reality check for all of us. You know we're quick to judge people and place them in stereotypes real quick, without ever even hearing their story. This was a wake up call man - not sure if it was intended to be, but thanks for reminding the world to wake up!

 
At Monday, September 26, 2005 10:27:00 PM, Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

Okay ... wsup with the hobos?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home